This is a quick and creamy Saffron Garbanzo Beans recipe great when craving a great nutritious casserole with a very different flavour kick!
Living in Milan made us realise how widely used is saffron in this region. It is a fundamental part of Lombardy’s staple dish: the saffron risotto.
It is autumn and we love eating seasonal ingredients. Why? To consume local produce, environmentalism, and of course, flavor. So we decided to have this for lunch given the great variety of mushrooms everywhere these days!
I recommend using a variety of mushrooms and cutting them in different shaped, it contributes to the complexity of the flavors and textures.
Garbanzo beans: a Great Post-workout Meal
We were coming back from our morning run and needed some protein-packed meal, so this one was a no brainer dish.
We have been making this dish for a while, with some variations.
Protein-packed Saffron Garbanzo Beans
- 14 ounces chickpeas pre-boiled, or two drained only-water cans, no preservatives
- 14 ounces mushrooms your choice or a mix of portobello, cremini, oyster, white button, all work well
- 7 ounces vegan mozzarella cheese, or vegan brie
- 4 shallots or 2 small red onions coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 teaspoon rosemary or dill
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup vegetable stock or garbanzo liquid from boiling or cans
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a saucepan, stir fry the onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the saffron and herbs, immediately followed by the garbanzo beans.
- Add the mushrooms cut in different shapes (this will contribute to better textures in every bite).
- Add the vegetable stock, salt, and pepper.
- When creamy, add the cheese, which will melt in about a minute.
- Serve immediately.
Looking for Autumn Inspired Recipes? Take a look: