Truffles are one of our weaknesses. Mixed them with potatoes, and we emptied the plate. Period. This Truffle Mashed Potatoes Recipe is made in minutes and delivers plenty of satisfaction.
There’s hardly a way to create another easy, flavorful, and decadent recipe in less time than this one, so get ready for some compliments. This recipe is exquisite, and the prep time is minimal: it is made in minutes!
Truffles are those things that you either love or hate, and we just can’t get enough of them. White, black, shaved, oil-infused, whichever way they come, we will dig into them, no questions asked.
What are truffles
Not to be confused with fancy chocolates of the same name, savory truffles are subterranean fungi grown in calcareous soils near the roots of trees such as oak or hazelnut. They’re produced in concentrated areas worldwide, including France, Italy, New Zealand, China, North Africa, the Middle East, and the Pacific Northwest.
In Northern Italy, truffles grow widely and are highly valued and used in many dishes such as risottos and pasta, so yes. So living here, we are closer to our idea of heaven.
We love eating all kinds of dishes with truffles like creamy pasta during the fall season. Check out all our fall-inspired recipes.
Want to know more about truffles?
This rich mashed potato recipe comes together with only a few ingredients.
- Potatoes (the best potatoes are russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes)
- Nutritional yeast
- Black Truffle oil (or truffle butter)
- Olive oil (or unsalted butter)
Optional: white pepper (or black pepper).
See quantities and full instructions in the recipe card.
Mashed potato recipe instructions
Making truffled mashed potatoes is super easy; follow these simple steps to get the perfect creaminess and texture.
Bring to a boil the potatoes in salted cold water over medium-high heat. Leave the skins on until they are fork-tender on a large pot.
Note: when boiling water for your truffle mashed potatoes, it is better to use cold water and similar size potatoes. That way, you ensure that the potatoes are cooked evenly.
Drain the potatoes.
Mix. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, and with a potato masher or electric mixer, mix everything until fluffy, and you reach the desired consistency. If you want to make them creamier, use your warm plant milk of choice.
Seasoning. Taste and season the mashed potatoes with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Garnish and serve warm with chopped parsley or, even better, with a sprig of rosemary.
Optionally you can top the truffle mashed potatoes with vegan parmesan cheese or mash roasted garlic along with the potatoes if you want to add some extra garlic flavor, but it is not necessary.
This will result in a thicker mash with a creamier texture and an enhanced 'potato flavor.' If you prefer, mash them by hand – but if you want quick and easy – go for the food processor.
Benefits of potatoes
- Potatoes are healthy. They have good things like vitamins C and B6, potassium, copper and manganese. Plus, they also have antioxidants that help fight cancer.
- So it is no wonder how mashed potatoes became one of the most popular comfort food in America! Truffles provide another layer
- Baked potatoes make a delicious meal with no added fat.
- They can be prepared in many different ways but always taste the same—delicious!
It's recommended to store mashed potatoes after they are thoroughly chilled. Freezing mashed potatoes, with or without gravy, isn't recommended.
It destroys the texture of the potatoes with prolonged exposure to cold temperatures and prevents nutrients from being available for their normal functions, which can result in taste changes.
For best results, refrigerate your pot of mashed potato on a tray if not covering tightly with cling wrap before stirring every 20 minutes for many hours (depending on temperature) to keep it cold and prevent oxidization that will lead to off-flavors.
When ready to eat again after refrigerating, reshape into ball shape then put back into fridge either overnight or enough time so it is inhospitably cold before reheating.
To make these mashed potatoes, I like using this immersion blender, which is very helpful to make pestos, and curry pastes (Yellow and Green Thai Curry pastes). Also, it works better to make sauces such as this Green Goddess Sauce and the delicious Creamy Vegan Sauce that we use for everything! Sometimes more prominent food processors don't work as well for creams.
More Sides dish ideas
- Green Beans with Toasted Flaked Almonds
- Roasted Butternut Squash
- Herbed Stuffed Mushrooms
- Gorgonzola Lentils Salad
Get a look at hour suggested Vegan Christmas Menu Post
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: Truffle Mashed Potatoes
- Boil. Bring your cold water to boil with some salt. Add the potatoes and cook until tender. You can either leave the skins on, or peal the potatoes.5 potatoes, 2 tablespoon salt
- Mash the potatoes with the rest of the ingredients.5 potatoes
- Adjust the seasonings.1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon black truffle oil, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon rosemary
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.