It's no secret that vegan lava cake is one of the most popular desserts around. But what's not so well known is that it's also one of the easiest to make vegan-friendly! This recipe requires just 8 simple ingredients and takes about 30 minutes to prepare. So if you're looking for a delicious, decadent dessert that everyone can enjoy, look no further than this chocolate molten lava cakes. Enjoy!
We love making this recipe because it always gets to impress our guests. We all love interacting with foods, and when you can simply pierce your cake and see how the molten center melts over your plate, it feels glorious... and it is sooo yummy!
This vegan lava cakes pair well with vanilla vegan ice cream or mixed berries nicecream and make a fabulous dairy-free and vegan dessert for any given dinner party, Valentine's dinner, or Holidays. It can be made in advance and frozen.
- Dark chocolate (or vegan chocolate chips)
- coconut cream
- cocoa powder
- chickpea flour or gluten-free flour mix
- white sugar
- extra virgin olive oil
- baking powder
See the recipe card for quantities.
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make these unforgettable vegan chocolate lava cakes.
Cut the chocolate into pieces.
Add the coconut cream.
Completely melt the chocolate mixture in a double boiler (bain Marie or microwave). Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
To make the chocolate cake, measure the dried ingredients.
Make a whole and add the olive oil and half the water.
Stir until combined, and then add the rest of the water.
Form a homogeneous chocolate ganache without lumps.
Spoon half the cake batter into the oiled ramekins.
Add a teaspoon of the reserved and chilled chocolate mixture.
Then cover it with the remaining batter.
Take the filled ramekins into a baking sheet and place them in the preheated oven.
Garnish - use canned or fresh berries. Also, use powdered sugar and pass it through a sieve to dust the molten chocolate lava cakes.
Pierce the vegan molten lava cakes to discover their gooey center!
Non vegan lava cakes use butter and eggs, which we substitute with olive oil and coconut-based products. Here we offer other vegan substitutions.
- Extra-virgin olive oil - You can use coconut oil or vegan butter instead of olive oil.
- Vegan dark Chocolate - you can use semi-sweet chocolate chips instead.
- Chickpea flour - you can make this gluten free lava cake recipe using almond flour or our gluten-free flour mix. Oat flour is also a great option.
- Coconut cream - you can use coconut whipped cream instead or full fat coconut milk.
- White sugar - you can use coconut sugar or granulated sugar instead.
- Different center - instead of making a chocolate ganache, you can make this molten lava cake using almond butter as a filling.
- Coffee - add a teaspoon of espresso powder to the chocolate ganache for a tiramisu-like twist.
You need ramekins or muffin tins to make the perfect dessert.
🥢 How to serve
I love having this warm chocolate cake with a glass of plant-based dairy-free milk such as oat milk, almond milk, or hot chocolate almond milk.
Serve it with your favorite mixed berries' marmalade, and vegan ice cream. This eggless Chocolate lava cake is over-the-top when served with vegan whipped cream.
Store the in the fride for up to a week and in frozen for up to 3 moths, bafore baking them.
💡 Top tip
You can take it straight to the oven or keep it in the freezer to bake them later.
The cake batter can be refrigerated for several hours; bring it to room temperature before baking.
Yes. Most dark chocolates are vegan because they do not contain dairy products. However, some dark chocolate brands may contain honey or other ingredients that are not vegan-friendly. So, checking the ingredients list before purchasing any dark chocolate product is essential.
🍫 More vegan chocolate desserts
Try out this fantastic Roman Chocolate cake which is made with nuts for the Holiday season.
Another super easy one is a chocolate chia pudding with pistachio nut cream; it is simply fabulous!
If you like to try more GF vegan desserts try our moist carrot loaf and apple cake, bot great fall season favorites.
⭐ If you try this gluten-free vegan chocolate lava cake recipe, let us know! 💬 Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag us @ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Vegan Lava Cake Recipe
- ¼ cup chopped vegan chocolate
- 2 teaspoon coconut cream solids only
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup chickpea flour or gluten-free mix
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¾ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup water
- Cut the chocolate into pieces, place it in a bowl, and add the coconut cream.
- Melt. Set into a double boiler (bain-marie). Melt it completely. (Alternatively, you can use the microwave-safe bowl for 60-90 seconds).
- Remove from heat and let cool down or leave in the refrigerator. Reserve.
- Place the cocoa powder- and chickpea flour in another bowl with the cornstarch, sugar, and baking powder.
- After mixing it up, make a hole in the center. Add the olive oil and half of the water.
- Mix well and then add the remaining water to form a homogeneous batter without lumps.
- Oil three ramekins with olive oil. Spoon half the batter into them.
- Take the reserved chilled chocolate, add a teaspoon to each ramekin, and then cover them with the remaining batter. You can take them to the oven or store them in the freezer.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 350°F (177 °C).
- Bake the cakes. If the volcano is not frozen, bake it for 8 minutes or until the sides of the volcano cakes are firm but the centers are soft.If it is frozen, cooking will take 12-15 minutes. The lava cake is ready with a belly at the top.
- Remove from the oven and unmold using a knife on the edges. Let the choco cakes cool in the ramekins for a minute, and then cover each with an inverted dessert plate. Carefully turn each ramekin over, allow them to stand for 10 seconds, and then unmold. Serve immediately.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend all of the products listed because they are companies I have found helpful and trustworthy.
Gina Abernathy says
A super easy and fast dessert.
Excellent recipe! I was in desperate need of a dessert last night and couldn't;t believe my luck when I found this recipe, cause I already had all the ingredients at home! And it worked so well! I followed the timings exactly and it was super nice and gooey inside! Thanks!
Thank you for trying our recipe, Ieva! We're glad to hear that it worked well for you and that you enjoyed it. We love hearing from our readers.