Making Vegan Parmesan Cheese at home is very easy. It requires minimal ingredients and 5 minutes of your time or less. It is made with cheap sunflower seeds and is equally delicious as the ones made with nuts.
This recipe is a variation of our also, plant-based parmesan recipe.
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
- nutritional yeast
- garlic powder
Add sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to an immersion blender or a food processor.
Pulse for 30 seconds.
Taste and adjust flavor. Add more nutritional yeast for “cheesiness” and extra garlic powder for a more intense note.
Garlic powder – you can use onion powder instead.
Sunflower seeds – we chose to use sunflower seeds in this variant. We like to switch some recipes a bit. Especially those that rely on a typical family of more expensive ingredients, in this case, nuts.
Walnuts, pecan, and almonds are usually more costly than other less-known but equally nutritional and sometimes cheaper, like sunflower seeds.
Replace sunflower seeds, with your choice of any nut, with a medium to high, healthy fats content, and it will be a good switch, and the texture won’t be affected.
Remember to limit your fat consumption. We should aim to eat no more than 20% of our calories coming from fat.
For your reference, sunflower seeds are on the lower end of fat % on 100 grams, than walnuts and almonds, which are at the upper tier, and sunflower seeds fall in the lower level.
Sunflower seeds benefits
These small seeds can help to prevent diseases such as heart disease or high blood pressure. Sunflower seeds benefits include also:
- Improving Heart Health
- Reducing Inflammation
- Boosting Energy Levels
- Supporting the Immune System
One remarkable thing about sunflower seeds is that they are high in protein and rich in healthy fats and antioxidants. Still, hulled sunflower seeds contain less fat percentage than most of nuts.
We also like adding it to salads as a no-oil flavor enhancer, replacing a vinaigrette.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: Vegan Parmesan Cheese Recipe
- Add sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt to a blender or a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.1 cup sunflower seeds, 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Taste and adjust flavor. Add more nutritional yeast for “cheesiness” and extra garlic powder for a more intense note.
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to or remove the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking points to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove