This 3 Ingredient pasta sauce is all you need for lazy, healthy, comfort food nights. For recipes like this one, I became in love with the simplicity of Italian food.
It’s all about the right ingredients in Italy. Less is more, the Italian mantra when it comes to pasta sauces and preparations—a couple of them in the blog, such as the Cacio e Pepe and the Lemony Spaghetti.
Strolling Rome’s Streets and Learning from Roman Chefs
We came to make this three-ingredient pasta sauce as we were strolling Rome’s streets, the last day before the Holiday’s lockdown. It was our final walk and the last restaurant supper before closing everything down until the day after Epiphany.
We needed to decide whether to walk as much as we could or enjoy the last of the restaurant open days. Of course, we did both and arrived at a Trattoria recommended by a Roman local friend.
How we came into this three ingredient tomato sauce?
Our Chef in Da Tonino – Trattoria Bassetti suggested the best ever spaghetti sauce: Pasta Alla Melanzane (Eggplant Sauce Pasta). We both love eggplants, so it was a yes, but we were curious about what they were going to do to make a simple Italian tomato sauce memorable.
I asked, and he just answered, believe me, it’s going to be good, it’s our signature dish and we have been making it for years. That was it for us!
And right he was—what a great dish! I took a picture and committed to re-creating it for you guys and, of course, to add it to my lazy dinner repertoire.
If you are looking for an easy spaghetti recipe, you have come to the right place! We crowned this recipe as the the best homemade spaghetti sauce! Both for its simplicity and flavor!
The 3 ingredient pasta sauce: an easy pasta sauce from scratch
Your three ingredients for this great spaghetti sauce are eggplant (Aubergine), garlic, and tomato sauce.
You might choose to add some olive oil and/or basil leaves, which I recommend but is not necessary. This is truly the tastiest pasta sauce we have had with only three ingredients. How?
- Be patient – let the sauce cook in low heat.
- Pick either the best organic tomatoes or a great organic Passata.
You can top it with our Homemade Vegan Parmesan.
Remember: the key is on the ingredients, ensuring you either have an excellent passata or blend your tomatoes and have a beautiful bright eggplant.
Feel like to sprinkling some extra Parmesan, you should take a look at our 5 minutes Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese
More Easy Pasta Recipes?
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
3 Ingredients Pasta Sauce
- Cut the eggplant into medium-sized dices.
- Pour the eggplant cubes into the skillet along with the grated garlic on medium-low heat and allow it to roast a little without burning it. Garlic won't burn, the eggplant has a lot of water, just keep stirring. Optionally you can add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sauté the eggplant cubes until they are all roughly roasted and soft. It should take about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and lower the heat to medium-low, or low if it splatters too much. Put a lid on it and stir it every 5 minutes.
- Put the salted water to boil your pasta.
- Let the sauce cook for about 20 minutes.
- While it cooks, boil your pasta using the pack’s directions.
- Turn the fire off, add the olive oil and basil leaves if you chose to add them, and adjust the salt and pepper.
- Drain your pasta and mix with some of the sauce and reserve some sauce to pour it on top.
You can freeze it in portions and have the portions ready to defrost in minutes for quick pasta meals.
You can add it to other preparations just like Grilled Tofu and have a full protein meal. If you like Parmesan Cheese, try to sprinkle with our 5 mins Vegan Parmesan “Cheese” (link below)