Prepare yourself for a mouthwatering pasta experience that harmoniously blends the invigorating flavors of lemon and garlic with a delightful crunch of toasted almonds. Welcome to the world of Lemony Garlic Pasta (vegan pasta al limone), a culinary delight suitable for all pasta enthusiasts.
This tantalizing recipe combines the freshness of lemons, the aromatic essence of garlic, and the satisfying crunch of toasted almonds to create a symphony of flavors and textures that will captivate your palate. Whether you follow a vegan lifestyle or simply appreciate a delectable bowl of pasta, this dish promises to transport you to a realm of culinary satisfaction. Let me walk you through the ingredients, preparation instructions, and some additional tips to ensure your vegan lemon pasta turns out simply irresistible for dinner tonight.
What makes this recipe a true winner is its perfect blend of exceptional flavor and nutritional benefits. By using fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, this simple pasta dish bursts with a vibrant citrusy tang that invigorates your taste buds. The addition of pepper flakes adds a subtle kick, enhancing the overall sensory experience.
This easy recipe calls for simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry, making it a convenient choice for busy days when you crave a satisfying meal without the hassle.
You will also love the Lemony and Zesty Asparagus Pasta, which is also made quickly in 15 minutes, another Springtime favorite.
Your must-have healthy ingredients to make an unforgettable this lemon garlic pasta recipe:
- Lemon juice and zest: The addition of fresh lemon juice and zest brings a bright and tangy flavor to the dish, elevating its taste and providing a refreshing citrusy twist.
- Fresh Parsley: The vibrant and aromatic fresh parsley adds a pop of freshness to the pasta, complementing the lemony flavors while providing essential nutrients like vitamins A and C.
- Almonds: The toasted almonds bring a delightful crunch and nutty flavor, adding texture and depth to the dish, making each bite a delightful experience.
- Spaghetti: The classic choice of spaghetti pasta provides the perfect base for this dish, allowing the flavors to coat each strand evenly, creating a satisfying and comforting meal.
- Garlic: With its aromatic and savory profile, garlic adds a bold and robust flavor to the pasta, enhancing the overall taste and providing a delicious depth of flavor.
- Extra virgin olive oil: The use of high-quality option not only contributes a rich and smooth mouthfeel but also brings its distinctive fruity notes, enhancing the overall taste and adding a hint of Mediterranean flair to the dish.
- Red pepper flakes (Pepperoncino): The addition of red pepper flakes adds a subtle hint of heat and spice, balancing the flavors and providing a gentle kick to the dish, without overpowering the other ingredients.
Optional: tequila to infuse the toasted almonds.
We also like topping it with this 5-minute Homemade Vegan Parmesan Cheese.
- In a flat pan, toast the almonds with salt and oil over medium-low heat until golden. Add an optional splash of tequila, give it a quick stir, turn off the heat, and let it cool.
- Slice the garlic cloves into small flakes. Squeeze and zest lemons.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok-like pan over low heat and add the garlic flakes. Once they start to turn golden, turn off the heat. This is the same technique used to make a garlic risotto.
- In a large pot, boil water with a bay leaf and salt. Cook the spaghetti for 2 minutes less than the package instructions since it will finish cooking in the pan and you want the final result to be al dente. Drain it.
- While the pasta cooks, chop the parsley, grate the lemon zest, and juice the lemons. Coarsely chop the cooled almonds and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Using kitchen tongs, combine the cooked pasta, chopped parsley, infused garlic olive oil, and the rest of the ingredients in the pan, just a handful at a time. Add the chili for an extra kick of flavor.
- Serve the pasta hot, topped with nutritional yeast. Enjoy!
🥢 How to serve
When it comes to serving this delightful lemony garlic pasta, the possibilities are endless. Here are a few creative serving options to elevate your dining experience:
- Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some additional fresh parsley or basil on top of the pasta for an extra burst of freshness and a pop of color.
- Top with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes: Roast a handful of cherry tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper until they burst with flavor. Serve them on top of the pasta to add a juicy and tangy element.
- Sprinkle with Vegan Parmesan: If you prefer a cheesy touch, sprinkle some vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast on top of the pasta for a savory umami flavor, while keeping the lemon noodles dairy-free.
- Serve alongside a Fresh Green Salad: Balance the richness of the pasta by serving it alongside a crisp green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette. The fresh and crunchy greens will provide a refreshing contrast. You can also serve it with green beans with flaked toasted almonds.
Feel free to get creative and customize your serving options to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy this delightful lemony garlic pasta in a way that brings you the most satisfaction!
Here are some vegan substitutions for the ingredients in this recipe that will yield similar results:
- Replace the almonds with toasted cashews or toasted pine nuts for a creamy and nutty flavor.
- Use vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast instead of traditional parmesan cheese to add a cheesy and savory taste.
- Opt for gluten-free spaghetti or other gluten-free pasta options if you follow a gluten-free diet.
- Swap out the regular spaghetti for whole wheat or brown rice spaghetti to add more fiber and a nuttier flavor.
- Substitute olive oil with vegan butter for a rich and buttery taste in the dish.
- If you prefer a milder spice level, reduce or omit the red pepper flakes, or use a pinch of cayenne pepper for a gentle kick.
Keep in mind that some substitutions may result in slight differences in texture or flavor. For example, cashews or pine nuts might provide a creamier texture compared to almonds.
Here are a few variations of the lemony garlic pasta recipe to add some variety to your culinary adventures:
- Lemon Garlic Pasta with Roasted Vegetables: add veggies and enhance the nutritional profile of the dish by incorporating roasted vegetables. Toss some bell peppers, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then roast them until tender. Mix the roasted veggies into the pasta for a burst of flavors and added texture.
- Added protein: Boost the protein content by adding grilled tofu or crispy chickpeas to the dish. Marinate firm tofu in a mixture of lemon juice, garlic, and your choice of herbs, then grill until lightly charred. Slice the grilled tofu and serve it on top of the lemony garlic pasta for a satisfying and protein-packed meal.
- Lemon Garlic Pasta with Carrot Tops Chimichurri: Prepare a zesty Carrot Tops Chimichurri, then generously drizzle the Carrot Tops Chimichurri over the top of garlic lemon pasta. The herby and tangy flavors of the chimichurri perfectly complement the lemony garlic pasta, creating a delightful fusion of Argentinean and Mediterranean influences.
Place the lemony garlic pasta in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days. Ensure that the pasta is completely cooled before storing it to maintain its freshness and texture.
Reheating: When it's time to reheat the pasta, there are a couple of options:
- Stovetop: Add a small amount of olive oil or vegetable broth to a pan over medium heat. Once heated, add the pasta and gently toss it until it is heated through. This method helps retain the flavors and texture of the pasta.
- Microwave: Transfer a portion of the pasta to a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a microwave-safe lid or microwave-safe wrap. Reheat in short intervals, stirring occasionally, until it is thoroughly heated.
🍷 Wine Pairing
- Italy - Sparkling - Prosecco
- New Zealand - Dry - Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough)
🍋 More recipes with lemons
If you are like us and can't have enough Lemon in your life, you may find these dishes interesting!
If you are into Easy Simple Pasta Recipes, you should definitely try our:
- This fantastic 3-ingredient Pasta Sauce
- The Famous Roman Traditional Cacio e Pepe Spaghetti with its Wine Pairing recommendation
⭐ If you try this recipe, let us know! 💬 Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag us @ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Get ready for a vegan, spicy pasta treat with crunchy roasted almonds!
Easy Lemony Garlic Pasta (Vegan Pasta al Limone)
- ½ pound spaghetti gluten-free
- 10 ounces almonds Organic Raw
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin, good quality
- 5 clove garlic
- 3 bunch parsley Italian, fresh and finely chopped
- 2 lemon both zest and juice
- 1 red chili small and chopped, pepperoncino
- 2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
- 4 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast or vegan Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon tequila
- Toast Almonds: In a flat pan, mix almonds, salt, and oil. Cook on medium-low until golden. For a touch of drama, give a splash of tequila, stir, then switch off the heat. Let the almonds chill out.
- Prep Garlic & Lemons: Turn those garlic cloves into fine slices. As for lemons, zest 'em, then juice 'em.
- Golden Garlic: Warm that fancy olive oil in a large skillet or wok-style pan. Keep it low, add the garlic, and once they hint golden, off goes the heat.
- Pasta Time: In a pot, let water, a bay leaf, and salt have a boiling party. Dive in that spaghetti but yank it out 2 minutes earlier than usual – you want it al dente. Why? 'Cause it'll keep dancing in the pan later.
- Chop & Juice: While spaghetti's getting its groove on, chop parsley and do the lemony tasks. Also, chop those cool almonds and rain some sea salt on 'em.
- Mix It Up: With trusty kitchen tongs, play mix-and-match with pasta, parsley, garlic-infused oil, and everything else in that pan. If you're feeling spicy, toss in the chili.
- Serve: Dish out the pasta piping hot, give it a nutritional yeast crown or vegan Parmesan if you're feeling regal. And there you go, a plate to impress! Enjoy, foodies!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend all of the products listed because they are companies I have found helpful and trustworthy.