These Green Beans with Toasted Almonds make the perfect side for any given dish. They are crunchy, tasty, tangy, and light. They are my first option for a heavy meal, such as Christmas or Thanksgiving dinners.
- Green beans
- Garlic powder
- Spring onion
- Clementine (optional)
- Silvered almonds
- Vegan butter or margarine
Salt and pepper to season.
See quantities and full instructions in the recipe card.
To make these Green Beans with Toasted Almonds you need to follow very simple steps.
Toast the almonds. In a skillet on low heat, toast the almonds carefully to prevent them from burning. Reserve.
Melt the vegan butter. In the same skillet and add the sliced spring onion and garlic powder.
Add the citrus. Stir in the clementine and lemon juices.
Steam the beans. Return the empty skillet to the stovetop, add the green beans. Cover and cook over medium heat.
Garnish. Off the heat, add the reserved toasted almonds, the spring onions, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
More Easy 5-minutes Sides?
Our Suggested Vegan Christmas Menu Post
- Truffled Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Vegetable Casserole
- Onions Stuffed with Porcini Mushrooms and Christmas Stuffing
- Homemade Festive Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- Christmas Rosemary Bread Buns
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: Green Beans with Flaked Toasted Almonds
- parsley to garnish
- Toast almonds. In a skillet on low heat, toast the almonds carefully to prevent them from burning. Reserve.½ cup sliced almonds
- Melt the vegan butter. In the same skillet over medium-low heat, melt the vegan butter (or margarine), add the sliced spring onion and garlic powder, and cook for a minute.1 spring onion, 2 tablespoons vegan butter, 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Add juices. Stir in the clementine and lemon juices and 1 tablespoon water. About 2 minutes. Reserve.1 lemon, 1 clementine
- Steam green beans. Return the empty skillet to the stovetop, add the green beans, ½ cup water, and one teaspoon salt. Cover and cook over medium heat, occasionally stirring, until the beans are tender but have a crunchy bite, about 8 minutes.1 pound green beans
- Season. Off the heat, add the reserved toasted almonds, the spring onions, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve with chopped parsley if desired.sea salt, peppercorns, parsley
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.