It’s asparagus season, and I can’t get enough of it. This Perfect Grilled Asparagus brings out its best. This recipe is made in 5 minutes, and the flavor is to die for.
Grilled asparagus is the perfect side dish, whether for brunch or dinner. It’s effortless to make and just five minutes before serving your main dish.
Grilling asparagus is very quick and straightforward. Just turn on your grill's heat, toss your asparagus with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and add your preferred seasonings such as garlic or onion powder, salt, and pepper.
How to Prep Asparagus
When shopping for asparagus, make sure you look for firm stems and tight, closed tips.
Wash your asparagus carefully under running cold water. Asparagus' tips are very delicate, so make sure you treat them with care to avoid breaking them.
The ends of asparagus are generally fleshy and woody. My recommendation is to remove about one inch (2.5 centimeters) at the base of the asparagus.
Toast the Sliced Almonds and Pine Nuts.
Grill the asparagus with olive oil.
Add the Seasonings.
Plate and Sprinkle the Toasted Almonds and Pine Nuts.
Serve with a wedge of lime or lemon. The acidity will bring up all the flavors.
Best way to Season
Take a look at these ideas for flavors that will pair perfectly with your grilled asparagus. But don't overdo it, as asparagus are rich in flavor and needs some extra kick of saltiness, depth, and acidity.
- The salt overrides the asparagus's slight bitterness, and the fat of the olive oil goes very well with the acidity of lemons or limes.
- I also like adding a kick of pepper or pepperoncino.
- As a topping, I like using any nuts as we do in this recipe. Think almonds, pine nuts, walnuts.
- I also like using my Homemade Vegan Parmesan when for a quick solution instead of any other seasoning.
How to Store Asparagus
As soon as you buy them, place the asparagus in a large glass, and add some water. Then, place a plastic bag over the top and store it in your refrigerator. This way, you will retain their freshness.
Apply this technique applies to all your fresh herbs, such as parsley and cilantro. As a result, your herbs will last for much longer.
Health Benefits of Asparagus
- Asparagus is full of nutrients and has very few calories.
- They are a great source of antioxidants.
- Asparagus helps supports a healthy pregnancy as they are an excellent source of folates.
- In addition, asparagus help lowers blood pressure.
- Finally, They help to improve digestive tract health.
Looking more simple roasted and grilled side dishes? Try these:
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Perfect Grilled Asparagus with Toasted Almonds & Pine Nuts
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Cut the bottom inch (about 2 ½ cm) of the asparagus, as they are usually fleshy.
- Toast the sliced almonds and pine nuts on a skillet for one minute, overseeing them avoid them from burning. Take them off the heat as soon as you see them slightly toasted, as the heat from the skillet will keep toasting them after the heat is off.
- If your asparagus are not extra thin, blanch them in boiling water for 30 seconds. If they are thin, omit this step.
- Grill the asparagus with olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper and toss for another 30 seconds or so. Do not overcook them as they could become too soft and lose their crispness.
- Plate the asparagus and sprinkle the toasted almonds and pine nuts on top.
- Serve with a wedge of lime or lemon. The acidity will bring up all the flavors.
Want to know more about the heath benefits of Asparagus. Visit HealthLine
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.