It’s asparagus season, and I can’t get enough of it. This perfect grilled asparagus brings out its best. This recipe is made in five minutes, and the flavor is to die for.
Grilled asparagus is the perfect side dish, whether for brunch or dinner. It’s incredibly simple to make and just five minutes before serving your main dish.
How to Grill Asparagus
Grilling asparagus is very quick and straightforward. Just turn on your grill's heat and toss your asparagus with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and add your preferred seasonings such as garlic or onion powder, salt, and pepper.
How to Prep Asparagus
When shopping for asparagus, make sure you look for firm stems and tight, closed tips.
Wash your asparagus carefully under running cold water. Asparagus' tips are very delicate so make sure you treat them with care to avoid breaking them.
The ends of asparagus are generally fleshy and woody. My recommendation is to remove about one inch (2.5 centimeters) at the base of the asparagus.
Toast the Sliced Almonds and Pine Nuts
Grill the asparagus with olive oil
Add the Seasonings
Plate and Sprinkle the Toasted Almonds and Pine Nuts
Serve with a wedge of lime or lemon. The acidity will bring up all the flavors.
Best way to Season Your Grilled Asparagus
Take a look at these ideas for flavors that will pair perfectly with your grilled asparagus. Don't overdo it, as asparagus are rich in flavor and just needs some extra kick of saltiness, depth, and acidity.
- The salt overrides the asparagus's slight bitterness, and the fat of the olive oil goes very well with the acidity of lemons or limes.
- I also like adding a kick of pepper or pepperoncino.
- As a topping, I like using any kind of nuts as we do in this recipe, think almonds, pine nuts, walnuts.
- I also like using my Homemade Vegan Parmesan when for a quick solution instead of any other seasoning.
How to Store Asparagus
As soon as you buy them, place the asparagus in a large glass, and add some water. Place a plastic bag over the top and store it in your refrigerator. This way, you will retain their freshness.
Apply this technique applies to all your fresh herbs, such as parsley and cilantro. Your herbs will last for much longer.
Health Benefits of Asparagus
- Asparagus is full of nutrients and have very few calories
- They are a great source of antioxidants
- Asparagus helps supports a healthy pregnancy as they are an excellent source of folates.
- Asparagus help lower blood pressure
- They help to improve digestive tract health
Looking more simple roasted and grilled side dishes? Try these:
Perfect Grilled Asparagus with Toasted Almonds & Pine Nuts
- Cut the bottom inch (about 2 ½ cm) of the asparagus, as they are usually fleshy.
- Toast the sliced almonds and pine nuts on a skillet for one minute, overseeing them avoid them from burning. Take them off the heat as soon as you see them slightly toasted, as the heat from the skillet will keep toasting them after the heat is off.
- If your asparagus are not extra thin, blanch them in boiling water for 30 seconds. If they are thin, omit this step.
- On a grill. Grill the asparagus with olive oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic powder, salt, and pepper and toss for another 30 seconds or so. Do not overcook them as they could become too soft and lose their crispness.
- Plate the asparagus and sprinkle the toasted almonds and pine nuts on top.
- Serve with a wedge of lime or lemon. The acidity will bring up all the flavors.
Want to know more about the heath benefits of Asparagus. Visit HealthLine
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.