This is a really soft, fluffy vegan bread buns recipe. They are perfect for any occasion at the center of the table. These vegan dinner rolls are perfect for any vegan dinner, are quick to do, and freeze well.
💚 Why you will love them
- Fluffy & Soft
- Festive Aroma
- Versatile Pairing
- Easy to Make
- Freezes Well
This is the short list of ingredients to make these simple and fluffy vegan dinner rolls. No complications!
- Almond milk (or any other plant milk such as soy milk, rice milk, or oat milk)
- Dry yeast
- Melted Vegan butter or margarine (olive oil also works). Earth Balance is our dairy-free butter of choice.
- Bread flour
- Maple syrup (agave syrup or cane sugar)
- Rosemary (optional).
- Plant Milk: Soy Milk (richer, nutty), Oat Milk (sweet, soft flavor), Rice Milk (lighter, sweeter).
- Vegan Butter: Coconut Oil (sweet, denser texture), Olive Oil (savory note, healthier).
- Sweeteners: Maple Syrup (rich, autumnal sweetness), Coconut Sugar (caramel-like, less sweet).
- Flour: Whole Wheat Flour (nutty, denser, nutritious), Gluten-Free Flour Blend (suitable for gluten sensitivities, slightly denser).
- Yeast: Instant Yeast (faster rise, no activation needed).
- Rosemary: Dried Rosemary (more concentrated, use half), Thyme, or Oregano (different flavor profile).
Round baking dish, scraper, measuring cups, and spoons.
Step 1: Dissolve the dry yeast in one cup of almond milk and the agave syrup and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Step 2: Mix the melted butter and all the flour in a large bowl. Then, add the almond milk and yeast mixture to the mix and knead the dough.
Step 3: Knead dough until you obtain a firm but soft dough ball.
Step 4: Make small golf-sized dough balls on a lightly floured surface. Leave them in a lightly greased bowl or on the baking sheet where you plan to bake your vegan dinner rolls. Then, cover the dinner rolls with plastic wrap until they are doubled in size.
Step 5: Let the dough rise until they have a soccer ball-like shape. Bake for 25 minutes. Serve warm.
💡 Expert tip
Precision in Proofing. The key to fluffy, soft buns lies in the proofing process. Ensure your dough is placed in a warm, draft-free area for the first rise, allowing it to double in size. This usually takes about two hours, but for even fluffier buns, consider an overnight rise.
The second rise, after shaping the buns, is equally crucial. Allow them to puff up for about 10 minutes before baking. This double-proofing technique ensures a light texture and a beautiful rise in your buns, making them a delightful addition to any festive table.
Remember, patience is your secret ingredient here!
Herb Medley Buns: Enhance the flavor by incorporating a blend of fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, and basil, along with rosemary. This variation offers a more complex and aromatic taste, perfect for those who love a herby touch.
Sweet Cranberry Orange Buns: Add dried cranberries and orange zest to the dough for a sweet twist. This combination brings a festive and fruity flavor, making the buns a delightful treat for holiday breakfasts or brunches.
🥢 How to serve
We like eating these beautiful and tasty bread buns with this Spiced Cranberry Sauce. They are equally good to pair with savory and sweet dishes.
For a real treat, try using these buns to whip up some vegan sloppy Joe sliders. They're a hit every time and a fun twist on a classic!
You can also have your focaccia as part of a vegan charcuterie board with spiced onions and spreads like our Lebanese hummus, roasted bell pepper Muhammara dip, Roasted red pepper hummus, and a Goddess Green Sauce.
Try this Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Breakfast hash; you will love it. So easy to make!
Don't forget to try this Easy Bread Loaf recipe, the Italian Classic Pagnotta Bread, for your everyday breakfast.
Absolutely! While the recipe might specify a particular type of baking dish, feel free to use whatever shape you have on hand. Round, square, or even a loaf pan can work. Just keep in mind that the shape of the dish can affect the baking time and the crust-to-soft interior ratio of your buns. For instance, using a loaf pan might mean a longer baking time and softer sides due to the buns being nestled together.
🎄 More Christmas recipes
Our suggested Vegan Christmas Menu Post
- Green Beans with Flaked Toasted Almonds
- Vegan Vegetable Casserole Casserole
- Onions Stuffed with Porcini Mushrooms and Christmas Stuffing
- Homemade Festive Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- White Truffled Mashed Potatoes
⭐ If you try this recipe, let us know! 💬 Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag us @ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Vegan Bread Buns
- Lightly warm the milk, and add the yeast and the agave syrup. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix. In a large bowl, mix the flour and vegan butter.
- Add the yeast milk and salt. Mix well.
- Knead until a smooth elastic dough forms, for about 20 minutes.
- Brush the dough with vegan butter, cover the bowl with a plastic wrap, and set it somewhere warm to rise for two hours until it’s doubled in size. I like to let it rise overnight for them to get fluffier.
- Prepare a cake pan. Lightly grease a baking sheet for your rolls.
- Knead the dough for another two minutes and then start forming your 1-inch diameter buns. Take off pieces of the dough and create balls by pulling the edges down so that the top becomes smooth.
- Layout the buns on your baking pan, brushing them with extra margarine, leaving some room between them to allow them to rise.
- Cover again with the same plastic wrap and allow the rolls to rise again for around 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 ºF (220 ºC).
- Bake. When it’s finished its second rising, brush with bread margarine, put some rosemary sprigs on it and bake for 25 minutes, until the rolls are golden on top.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend all of the products listed because they are companies I have found helpful and trustworthy.