This spiced roasted cauliflower with tahini is one of the easiest things to make for any given dinner or lunch. Roasting cauliflower is a great way to make this vegetable more appetizing for kids and adults.
Spiced roasted cauliflower with turmeric, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and paprika is the perfect side dish or vegetarian main course that can be served warm or at room temperature. Not only is it healthy, but also super easy to prepare!
I also like to keep some for further preparations, such as cauliflower cream, or pair it with a bowl of nice basmati rice for a light meal.
When spicy meets cauliflower, a spicy roasted cauliflower is created. This spicy roasted cauliflower recipe has been around for a while, but it's still one of the easiest to make for any dinner or lunch.
The first time I tried was at a Jewish restaurant when we lived in Mexico City. I couldn't believe how much flavor I was getting in my mouth from roasted cauliflower.
Of course, we would not have asked for it, but the waiter recommended it and insisted that we would not regret it, and he was right.
We love roasting vegetables, such as roasted Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and the famous Spanish Escalivada. The latest we have made is this holiday roasted vegetables, including carrots, Brussels sprouts, and beets.
If you love this fall season ingredient as much as we do, don't forget to check our Fall Season recipes, including more cauliflower recipes. Don't forget to check out our simple, delicious, and super-healthy Cauliflower Steaks recipe.
💚 Why we love this recipe
This great recipe is perfect when you don't know what to do with that beautiful cauliflower head in your fridge. With this oven-roasted cauliflower recipe, you can use different herbs, fats, and seasonings to change slightly. The whole cauliflower cooking time in an aluminum foil at 400ºF (200ºC) is one hour.
The perfect seasoned roasted cauliflower includes these plant-based spices:
- Turmeric: Turmeric is used for its distinctive, earthy flavor that adds depth to the dish. It also provides a bright yellow color to the cauliflower, enhancing the visual appeal of the dish.
- Paprika: Paprika contributes a mild, sweet flavor with a touch of heat, enhancing the overall taste profile of the dish. Additionally, it imparts a rich, red color to the cauliflower, complementing the color from the turmeric.
- Cumin: Cumin adds a warm, aromatic flavor that pairs well with the other spices and enhances the savory taste of the roasted cauliflower. Its unique flavor profile also contributes to the complex layers of taste in the dish.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper is used to add a hint of heat and piquancy to the dish, balancing the other flavors. It also helps to stimulate the appetite and enhance the overall flavor profile of the dish.
- Garlic: Garlic is used for its robust, pungent flavor that adds depth and a savory component to the roasted cauliflower. Its aroma also contributes to the mouthwatering appeal of the dish.
- Tahini paste (sesame paste): Tahini paste is used to make the sauce creamy and rich, which balances the spicy and earthy flavors of the roasted cauliflower. It also adds a slightly nutty flavor that complements the other ingredients.
- Herbs: Herbs are used to provide a fresh contrast to the roasted, spiced cauliflower, elevating the overall flavor profile. Depending on the herbs used, they can also add fragrant notes that increase the complexity and depth of the dish.
See quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card.
The Right Mix and Amount of Spices will do the trick!
Step 1: Measure your spices to make the creamy tahini sauce.
Step 2: Mix the Spices with water, lemon juice, and tahini (or extra virgin olive oil) in a large mixing bowl.
Step 3: Place your Cauliflower head on an Aluminium Foil and Cover it with the tahini dressing.
Step 4: Wrap the cauliflower head, making sure it is tightly closed, and place it on a baking sheet.
Tip: turmeric dyes stuff, even your hands, so handle it with care.
Step 5: Cover the cauliflower head with aluminum foil and bake it for 45 minutes.
Step 6: Open the foil and put the tray back in the oven to cook the cauliflower head for another 15 minutes to ensure you have a crispy cauliflower head. Otherwise, it would be soggy.
Remove from the hot oven as soon as it looks golden brown.
I recommend keeping the remaining liquid after baking tahini roasted cauliflower so you can add an extra punch while eating. It also adds an extra Gourmet Touch to the table!
Garnish with sesame seeds!
Learn how to make a whole roasted cauliflower with only olive oil and salt!
You can keep the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
This cruciferous vegetable is highly nutritious and, as Science Says, is amongst the 3 of the Healthiest Foods You Can Eat. It has a lot of beneficial, healthy properties and very few calories.
🧂 Spices for Roasted cauliflower
Spices contribute to our health and have no calories, so don't be shy!
Roast cauliflower spices ideas:
- Turmeric - adds an excellent color and earthy flavor.
- Paprika - adds color and a smoky flavor.
- Cumin - adds depth and complexity.
- Coriander - adds Asian flavor complexity.
- Garlic powder - adds intensity and our loved garlic flavor.
- Onion powder - same as above but milder.
- Black pepper - helps to round up the flavors.
- Thyme - adds herbal notes.
We use turmeric for our cauliflower seasoning because it contributes to its flavor, color, and excellent anti-inflammatory benefits.
See how to include more turmeric in your diet with this morning tonic, a lemon, turmeric, and ginger anti-inflammatory tea.
This is the best way to roast cauliflower.
Looking for more Savory Side dishes and Snacks?
- Roasted Butternut Squash with maple tahini dressing
- Hummus 3-Ways
- Quick Crispy Falafels
- Perfect Grilled Asparagus with Toasted Almonds and Pine Nuts
If you like Indian spices and cauliflower, you will love our curried cauliflower; you will love it!
📚 More cauliflower recipes
If you try this keto-roasted cauliflower recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Spiced Roasted Cauliflower with Tahini
- 1 head cauliflower medium (700 gr ~25 oz)
Roasted Cauliflower Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons tahini or extra virgin olive oil or margarine, for a buttery flavor
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme or dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin ground
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika I really recommend this one, outstandingly delicious.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil extra-virgin, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF or 200ºC.
- Prepare the spices in a bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, but the cauliflower, until well combined.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the stem.
- Place the cauliflower head onto an aluminum foil, then Make cuts in the cauliflower head and then rub the marinade all over the cauliflower, allowing some of it to come inside of it.
- Bake the cauliflower head covered in aluminum foil and put it on a baking sheet for 45 minutes.
- Open the foil, brush the olive oil on the cauliflower head and raise the oven heat to 500ºF (250ºC). and put the tray back in the oven (opened aluminum foil and cauliflower head included) to cook for another 15 minutes to ensure you have a crispy cauliflower head. Otherwise, it would be soggy while the juices will remain in the aluminum foil and condense.
- I like to add the remaining juices in the aluminum foil on top of it once I have cut it in quarters.
- You can keep the leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Use any herbs or spices you want or have on hand, have fun!
- I use a brush to rub the marinade all over the cauliflower because the turmeric stains a lot, but unnecessary. You can also use your hands or even a plastic bag.
- Baking time may vary depending on your oven, the size of your cauliflower, or how soft you want it.
- You can keep it in an airtight container in the freezer for 1-2 months.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend all of the products listed because they are companies I have found helpful and trustworthy.