If you're looking for an easy, healthy side dish to make for your next get-together, look no further than this 4-ingredient oven-baked sweet potato slices! It's gluten-free and vegan, so that everyone can enjoy it. Plus, it only takes 5 minutes of prep time. So put on your apron and get started!
We love making this sweet and savory dish as the perfect, effortless side dish during Thanksgiving celebrations. These fork-tender potato slices pair fantastically with autumnal dishes.
This sweet roasted sweet potato slices recipe was inspired by our roasted butternut squash and spiced roasted cauliflower recipes also on this site.
Sweet potato slices in the oven are great because the slow roasting allows them to unleash their natural sweetness, so you don't need many ingredients to make this dish fantastic.
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Fresh Garlic
See the recipe card for quantities.
Roasting sweet potatoes slices is super easy. Just peel and cut the potatoes, add the suggested seasonings, and bake!
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
Make sweet potato rounds with a sharp knife or a mandoline. Make sure they have roughly the same thickness. Seson with salt and black pepper.
Place all ingredients – into a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper; then toss to evenly coat the slices.
Use your hands or kitchen tongs.
Bake sweet potatoes evenly by arranging the sweet potato rounds on a single layer baking sheet without overlapping each other.
Time for baking sweet potatoes in foil. After placing the sweet potato slices on a large sheet pan covered with aluminum foil in the preheated oven.
Serve the roasted sweet potato rounds on a serving plate. Ensure they are golden brown; otherwise, bake them for an extra couple of minutes without the aluminum foil.
Garnish with fresh thyme or herbs and optionally sprinkle homemade vegan parmesan cheese, and serve hot.
- Fresh garlic - instead of garlic cloves, you can use garlic powder.
- Thyme - this fantastic herb works beautifully with most root vegetables, roasted butternut squash, and pumpkin, but Rosemary and Sage are also excellent options.
- Extra virgin olive oil - you can use coconut oil instead; however, keep in mind that it will add a coconutty flavor. if you want the sweet potato flavors to shine more, you should use a neutral oil like canola oil.
Hint: we prefer using olive or grapeseed oil because they have high smoking points, making them ideal for baking and cooking at high temperatures while avoiding toxicity.
- Sweeter - add two tablespoons of brown sugar or coconut sugar.
- Spicy - add chili powder, red pepper flakes, or chipotle powder before when seasoning.
- Crunchy - add toasted pecans.
Check our roasted garlic and potatoes version!
You only need a baking sheet and a mixing bowl.
Following the exact instructions, you can also make this recipe on an air fryer, without using oil, making them compliant with a Whole Foods Plant-Based diet.
- Fridge – store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Freezer – we do not recommend freezing them as they will not reheat well. As the sweet potato slices are thin, they can turn mushy once reheated. If that is the case, you can always use the leftovers to make mashed sweet potatoes.
💡 Top tip
A few tips for baking your crispy roasted sweet potatoes evenly is slicing them evenly and using aluminum foil; this way, the exposure to heat and their texture will be optimal with a creamy inside.
Using a large sweet potato is essential to ensure you can cut large slices. Make sure they’re all roughly the same thickness so they will cook evenly. If using smaller potatoes, reduce the cooking time accordingly. Be careful not to cut them too thin, especially if using a mandolin; if they’re almost see-through, they’re too thin!
Absolutely. Roasting sweet potatoes slices and wedges are about the same. You can leave sweet potato skin on the wedges to enhance their texture.
You can cook sweet potatoes in many ways. You can make a baked sweet potato. Sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole, mashed sweet potatoes and are also used to make juices and smoothies.
Their natural sweetness also works well for baking sweet dishes and puddings.
It is unnecessary to soak sweet potatoes in water before baking. In fact, soaking them will remove some of the nutrients. People sometimes soak them to reduce the overall baking time.
Nope – the skin is perfectly edible and has good nutrients in it too! They also look and taste more rustic when they’re not peeled.
🍠 More sweet potato recipes
Try out this sweet potatoes with apples casserole, which works not only as a holiday dinner side dish but as a cozy breakfast treat.
If you like a vegetable side that is more savory and includes more veggies on your holiday table, this Brussels Sprouts Sweet potatoes hash with vegan chorizo is the deal!
This Green beans potatoes, and sausage casserole is another excellent option for your Thanksgiving table!
Finally, these 4-ingredient herby mashed sweet potatoes are the perfect Thanksgiving easy side dish.
⭐ If you try this baked sweet potatoes recipe, let us know! 💬 Leave a comment, rate it, and don't forget to tag us @ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
4-ingredient Oven Baked Sweet Potato Slices (Gluten-Free + Vegan)
- 1 pound large sweet potato scrubbed clean and sliced into 2-3 mm slices, either with a knife or a mandolin.
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and toss to evenly coat the sweet potato in the oil, garlic and thyme.
- Lay the slices in a large casserole dish or baking tray, overlapping each other.
- Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes until the sweet potato is tender.
- Remove the foil and continue baking for another 20-25 minutes until the edges of the potato are crisp.
🌡️ Food safety
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with a high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
See more guidelines at USDA.gov.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist's advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I recommend all of the products listed because they are companies I have found helpful and trustworthy.
Definitely one of the best side dishes I've tried!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
I love that it only needs a few ingredients!! So perfect!
Oh yum! You had me at just four ingredients. These sweet potato slices look so good I needed to try them. I loved the texture.
Gina Abernathy says
I can't seem to get enough of sweet potatoes this time of the year. These were easy to make and delish!
Love simple dishes like this. I made mine as wedges in my air fryer and the seasoning was spot on.
I love how simple and beautiful these baked sweet potato slices are! They're delicious and so easy to make!
The perfect side for hosting and festive meals like thanksgiving! My whole friend group loved this as a side to my vegan goose!
So simply flavored and beautifully plated! These were a hit at our place this week and I definitely plan on making them again.
I added red pepper flakes and these sweet potatoes were crispy and amazing! Slicing them so thinly makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing.
Wow! This side dish is so tasty and very impressive! Will definitely make again.