Who doesn’t like to have healthy snacks around? Who doesn’t like to snack? There’s nothing wrong with snacking as long as you have Homemade Vegan Granola Bars around!
We all should be very conscious of planning our snacks to avoid succumbing to unhealthy cravings.
These homemade oatmeal bars make great quick vegan snacks. This time we made a 9-ingredient baked granola bar recipe, but you can simply increase or decrease the ingredients based on what you have readily available in your pantry.
We suggest always have some oats, nuts and seeds, dates or raisins, and a healthy sweetener handy.
How to Make Granola Bars at Home
You will need the following ingredients:
Dates and dried fruit – dates are great natural sweeteners, and dried red fruit also provides an acidity kick.
Almonds (easily switched for walnuts)
Rolled oats (or spelt)
Peanut salted butter (or almond butter)
Seeds (we used sesame and poppy seeds, feel free to use flax or chia seeds)
Maple syrup (or agave) and mix it all!
These homemade oatmeal bars are easily made by baking rolled oats and almonds for 15 minutes, thus adding an extra crunch and toasted flavor note, but it is not necessary.
This baked granola bar recipe works wonderfully if you want to make it in batches because they keep well in the freezer for two months.
Granola bars work perfectly because you can:
- Easily make your own.
- Take complete control of what comes into your mouth instead of trusting what comes in that packaging.
- Keep binges in line.
- Customize your flavors easily.
- Make them even if you are missing any types of ingredients.
- Use readily available mainstream ingredients.
- Adjust your budget accordingly.
- Make different kinds depending on your needs (i.e., morning energy, post-workout protein)
- Make them without failing (it’s really hard to have them wrong)
- Quickly make them.
- Easily store them.
Should I continue?
How to Make Vegan Granola Bars
Bake the Oats and Almonds (Optional).
Pit the dates and Blend along with the dried fruit in a Food Processor.
Mix in and blend the toasted Oats and Almonds for a couple of seconds.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the maple syrup, peanut butter, poppy and sesame seeds, and coconut flakes. Use a spoon to mix thoroughly.
Lay back in the baking tray over parchment paper and press with a glass.
Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
Cut them in the desired shape.
You can change the peanut butter for almond or hazelnut butter, just swapping and using the exact quantities. Make sure to use Gluten-Free oats to keep your healthy cereal bar gluten-free. It is a very easily customizable recipe.
Other customization ideas
In addition to dates, you can make granola using other natural sweeteners such as raisins, dried apricots, and other mixed dried fruit.
We only change the dried fruit (sweetener), nuts (any kind of nut), creamy bonding ingredient (nut butter), and cereal (oats or spelt)—all wholesome and crunchy ingredients.
These Homemade Vegan Granola Bars make the perfect healthy snack because they keep you full and don’t provide much sugar. They have many fiber and complex carbs, so the energy is released in your body gradually instead of giving you a sugar rush leaving you hungry a little time later. They also pack healthy fats and lots of fiber, and the quantities are easily adjustable to your needs.
More Healthy Snacks Recipes
If you try any of these recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Healthy Vegan Granola Bars
- Heat oven to 350 degrees ºF (175º C) and line a baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add your oats and almonds to a bare baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Add dates and dried fruit to a food processor and blend until a ball forms — ~15-20 seconds. It should be sticky.
- Add the toasted oats and almonds blend for 5 additional seconds
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the maple syrup, peanut butter, poppy and sesame seeds, and coconut flakes. Use a spoon to mix thoroughly.
- Transfer to the same parchment paper prepared baking pan used for baking and use a wooden spoon to disperse into an even layer. Cover with parchment paper and press down with a drinking glass to get the mixture packed tightly, preventing the granola bars from crumbling. Chill in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the dish and chop into 12 bars. Store in a container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 2 months. They keep their shape best right out of the freezer or refrigerator.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.