Being Argentinean and living in Italy, we really miss the great "Empanadas Argentinas." This Vegan Empanadas Dough Recipe is easy to make and ready in minutes.
There are many different kinds of these puffy savory pastries. In a way, they are very close to the pizzas as the principle for making empanadas is the same: dough plus getting creative with the garnishing/filling.
This is not the puffy buttery kind but the drier kind, which we like better.
All purpose flour, olive oil, salt and water! That's it!
Unite all the ingredients to form a dough.
Knead for 5 minutes so that it is well united and tender. Cover with a plastic film or damp towel and let rest which will prevent the surface from drying. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
Spread the dough with a rolling pin on a surface with just a little bit of flour.
Cut the discs with a round cutter or a circular bowl.
- Make the dough as directed. You can also use pre-bought puff pastry.
- Make the filling. This Vegan Empanada Filling is our winner: Vegan Lentil Empanadas Recipe.
- Assemble the empanadas.
The Empanadas Dough
You can find mainly two kinds of doughs, puff pastry, and regular pastry.
This decision is harder to make, and we like both very much; it is really just up to what you feel like having. We vary amongst these types, depending on our mood.
Also, in the north of Argentina, Tucuman's empanadas use pork's fat to make the dough. Being plant-based, we limit our consumption of animal fats. We have tried them before, but in my opinion, there is nothing to miss from porcine fat; also, they are obviously, less healthy.
A practical aspect...
Since it is common to eat more than one kind of empanadas as part of the same meal, the cue to differentiate them from the outside is the folding technique (repulgue). Also, different marks work.
I will show how to make the repulgue, but the easiest way to get it right for a beginner is to use a fork to pressure the border and close them.
Please let us know which is your favorite and what type of empanadas you find in your region.
Check out these Argentinean Cuisine Favorites:
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Vegan Empanadas Dough
To paint when making empanadas:
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- Unite all the ingredients to form a dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes so that it is well united and tender.
- Cover with a plastic film or damp towel and let rest which will prevent the surface from drying. Let it rest for 15 minutes before using.
Prepare the dough:
- Prepare two little bowls, one with a half cup of water and one with two tablespoons ofwater plus a little bit of paprika (to paint the empanadas for color).
- Spread the dough with a rolling pin on a surface with just a little bit of flour toprevent it from sticking.
- Cut the disks with a 3-4 inches cutter or any circular plate with a circular shape.
- Pre-heatthe oven at 450ºF (230ºC).
- Moist your fingertips in the water bowl and spread some water in the edges of the disks.
- Fill with aboutone full tablespoon of the filling of your preference in the center of the disk.
- Close the disk and with a fork, put pressure in the moist edges until perfectly closed.
- Arrange theempanadas on a greased baking tray and paint them with a brush and the paprikaand water mix.
- Bake for 15 minutes, watching it after the tenth minute, to them from burning.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.