This one is an Easy Bread Loaf Recipe (Pagnotta) that you will love. The crust is perfect, the ingredients are minimal, and the result is superb. It also works for pizza! The best Italian bread recipe in the world!
We stopped buying bread about a year ago because it is easy to make, cheap, healthier, and the house smell is rewarding.
Also, we are conscious about consuming as few simple carbs as we can; we agreed on two rules: if we have bread, it has to be memorable and homemade; this way, we control what goes in it. Second, as it takes a couple of hours to make, we have to plan; it is not merely a result of a simple carbs craving.
See quantities and full instructions in the recipe card.
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water
- Add the flour and knead roughly
- After the time has elapsed, add the salt and knead until the dough is smooth
- Put it to rest in a lightly oiled bowl
- Roll the dough back onto itself, always inside the bowl, put it to rest
- Repeat the above procedure (dough must double).
- Give it the round shape
- Pre-heat the oven at 475 ºF or 240 ºC.
- Bake the pangnotta (Italian bread loaf)
How to serve it
The famous naturally vegan Catalonian Escalivada dish is also a great pairing option for your homemade bread loaf.
Brewer's yeast is often demonized. However, few people know that these microorganisms have many beneficial effects on our body: hair to nails, skin, and metabolism.
Therefore, when we have little time and want fresh bread for lunch, I put this beautiful loaf to work in the morning. The same goes for if we want a nice piece of bread for a Weekend's breakfast, we prepare it before going to bed.
Experiment as much as you can with different flours and adding seeds. It is the only way to learn baking and understand your oven; just follow the tricks I am giving you here, and it will be flawless!
We also love using loaves to make Bread Bowls (also known as Panne Cook, or Pan Bowl), taking some of the inside dough, and filling it with any kind of stew.
Curious to learn more about kneading and doughs? Check our:
- Italian Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- Argentinean Vegan Empanadas Dough
- This recipe also works for Pizza, after all, is Italian! 🙂
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: Easy Bread Loaf (Pagnotta)
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water (you have to be very careful not to overheat it, or it may kill the microorganisms). Let it rest for 10 minutes.3 teaspoons brewer’s yeast, 10 fluid ounces water
- Add the flour and knead roughly with your hands and let the dough rest for about 20 minutes (some kitchen robots have a kneading function, you can use it. I like to knead it myself).17 ounces flour, 2 teaspoons olive oil, 2.5 teaspoons salt
- After the time has elapsed, add the salt and knead until the dough is smooth and homogeneous.
- Put it to rest in a lightly oiled bowl for about 30 minutes—Oil the surface a little bit and cover with cellophane paper.
- Roll the dough back onto itself, always inside the bowl, put it to rest (covered with the same cellophane paper).
- After 30 minutes, repeat the above procedure (dough must double).
- When it has doubled, proceed by giving it the round shape, place it on a round baking tray and wait for it to double again (this leavening will take about 1 hour).
- Pre-heat the oven at 475 ºF or 240 ºC.
- Bake. Place a tray with 2 cups of water on the oven floor and put the baking pan in the oven.
- After 10 minutes, decrease the temperature to 425 Fahrenheit for 220 °C for the remaining 40 minutes.
Pin it for Later!
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.