Eggplant Babaganoush is Middle Eastern favorite that makes everyone happy and makes a great snack.
I use Eggplant Babaganoush as a dip, but also as a spread for sandwiches to make them richer. As an eggplant lover, this is probably one of the easiest recipes that I go to when I need to cater to a big crowd.
It has a very intense and particular flavor that is hard to find in other eggplant-based recipes due to the cooking method. I like to use the puree as a base for other recipes and even stuffing for ravioli.
Learning to make the Eggplant Babaganoush opened a new window for me because the process of roasting the eggplants and then adding some spices was something I kept to make other things such as pasta fillings for Ravioli.
The traditional method is for the eggplant to broiled over an open flame before peeling, so that the pulp is soft and has a smoky taste, and this is exactly how I like to make it. It is a typical starter (meze) of the regional Levant cuisine.
Vegan Babaganoush Spread
- Pierce the eggplants with a fork, roast them on an open flame (or in the oven if you don’t have a gas stove).
- Allow eggplant to roast over the flame for 20-25 minutes, moving them every 5 minutes. The larger the eggplant, the longer it will take to roast.
- When finished, remove from the flame and put them on a plastic bag, let them rest for 5 mins, save the steamed liquid and proceed to peel it with a sawed knife. Discard the skin.
- Let the eggplant return to room temperature and proceed to peel the skin with a saw blade knife.
- Mash the eggplant pulp with a fork or a masher.
- Mix all the ingredients plus some of the eggplant liquid, about 2-3 tablespoons.
- Make sure all the ingredients are well mixed until you have an uniform paste.
- Drizzle with olive oil and paprika and garnish with fresh parsley.
Don’t forget to get a look to another Eggplant favorite snack:
Curious about Eggplants benefits?
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.