I make this Blue Cheese Salad Recipe usually as the main dish. It is packed with all the goodness of protein, herbs, and intense flavors. It will keep your stomach full and the hunger away for the rest of the day.
Now that I live in Italy, I have to say that if you can use Castelluccio or Puy lentils, as he suggests, you should go for them, but if you don’t, go ahead and use any lentils, and I will give you here a tip, to make it work.
I am also changing some ingredients for fun and cutting corners by simplifying some steps, just so you can make them faster and enjoy this fabulous dish without much planning.
Method and Ingredients
This lentil salad recipe uses a couple of ingredients that make it a winner. It works as a lentil side dish and also as a lentil main dish, just change the portion sizes.
Dry Tomatoes, Red Onions, Blue Cheese (Gorgonzola Cheese), Lentils, Herbs, Garlic and Red Wine Vinegar .
Thinly Slice the Red Onion and place it in water and vinegar so it loses its pungent flavor.
Soak the lentils in water and then briefly cook them until they are "al dente".
Slice the Dried Tomatoes and chop the herbs.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
Which Lentils to use?
So, why Castellucio or Puy versus ordinary lentils?
These lentils varieties are small breeds that look almost like bigger quinoa and do not disintegrate in the cooking like your standard lentils would do, so it gives you a nice, delicate texture in every bite.
I made another change. I replaced the oven-baked tomatoes for store-bought oil preserved dehydrated ones. Any dry tomatoes that you can hydrate with warm water will do.
Eat your Lentils! They are a staple of every plant-based diet! This is why?
Lentils in every color are low in calories, rich in iron and folate and an excellent source of protein.
They pack health-promoting polyphenols and may reduce several heart disease risk factors.
Looking for some Filling Salad inspiration?
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Gorgonzola Lentil Salad
- 1 ½ cups Lentils
- 4 ounces gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 10 dried tomatoes preserved in oil, or 10 dried tomatoes, hydrated in warm water, and dry herbs for 10 minutes
- 1 red onion small, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove small, crushed
- 3 tablespoons mint fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chives fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons thyme fresh, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill fresh, chopped
- ½ fennel sliced
- 1 cup rucola
- sea salt to taste
- Place the sliced onion in salted water and vinegar for a couple of minutes so it loses its intense flavor.
- Let the lentils soaking for 1 hour, then bring them to boil for 30 mins if using regular lentils or 10-15 mins if using Castelluccio or Puy lentils. The idea is to have lentils that do not look mushy.
- Slice the dried tomatoes.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, except for the cheese and fresh herbs.
- When the mix has cool down, add the chopped herbs and cheese.
- Get Ready to enjoy one of the tastiest salads, you have had!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.