How to prepare Tofu is one of the most frequent questions I am asked by friends and people inclined to decrease their meat consumption. Here is a quick tip!
When I was first introduced to Tofu, it was certainly not love at first sight. It did not hate either; I have always been curious about healthy foods.
The fact that it lacked flavor was a downer for me, but it was the same characteristic, the one that I learned later to love.
Tofu takes the flavor that you want to give to it. It is a versatile ingredient for its lack of taste and the multiple texture and presentations that you can find in the market.
So here is how to cook tofu in a pan. Just cut the tofu in the desired shape, preheat the pan on high heat for one to two minutes and then cook the tofu for one minute on each side. You can add a teaspoon of oil to the pan if your pan isn’t a non-stick one.
That’s it! That’s how to pan fry tofu at its simplest form.
Some friends ask me: Do you have to cook tofu? Does tofu need to be cooked?
The Answer is No, you don’t, but in my opinion, cooking tofu makes its texture better, and also you get to add more seasonings to enhance its flavor.
These two qualities make Tofu the perfect ingredient to provide texture, volume, and protein to your foods, and it works both for savory and sweet recipes.
Tofu: versatile and full of healthful protein.
Plus: can be prepared in uncountable inventive ways.
TIP: There are many transgenic soybeans products out there, so make sure you always buy Organic Certified Tofu.
How to prepare tofu: My Top 5 Ways
- When I am making decadent weekend brunch using the Best Tofu Scramble Recipe.
- As the base to make stuffing for veggies or filled pasta. See: Stuffed Onions and Stuffed Shell Pasta Recipes
- Grilled plain with high heat, for one minute on each side. Reserving and adding them to a Thai Curry, five minutes before it is ready. They absorb all the curry’s flavor and texture from the grilling.
- Breaded in polenta and then baked. (I will soon post a recipe showcasing this option). Subscribe to receive a notification.
- Marinated and grilled. Like on this recipe. Great for BBQs, and as chunks for a Protein Salad and Buddha Bowls. These also make a grate filling for Vegan Arepas.
3 Ingredients to make great Grilled Tofu
- Soy Sauce
How to Prepare Tofu
- Non-stick grilling pan
- Cut the Tofu into squares. marinated tofu
- Put the squares on a Tupperware and cover half-way with half of the ingredients with the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger. I used today both powdered and fresh garlic and onion (it’s never too much, is a marinade). Let it rest for 10 mins.Grilled Tofu with spices
- Flip sides and add the other half of ginger and garlic.marinated tofu
- After 5 minutes it is ready to be grilled.marinated tofu
- Heat a non-stick grilling pan and grill the tofu squares for 1 minute on each side.
- Add the remaining juice before the final flip (don’t do it before, because it will not stand 2 minutes at high heat and will be burned).