Cauliflower rice is the perfect side dish, just as rice is. It is a highly versatile side that goes well with any seasoning.
Here we bring you the Basic 2-ingredient Cauliflower Rice plus two Optional Seasoning Styles.
I was born and raised in Panama, Central America, where rice is part of every single lunch meal. The problem is that although rice is a great grain, it is a very starchy one, and even if you are eating bran rice, the calorie/nutrients ratio isn’t the best if you are not exercising.
It is definitely not the dieters’ best friend, but it is delicious! So what? Cauli Rice!
This is the easy part, you just need cauliflower, oil, and salt.
Right after the instructions, you can find two seasonings suggestions. Both with just 2-3 extra ingredients.
Start by removing the leaves and the stem. Then, save them for another use. I like roasting them or adding them to any recipe where we can turn it into stuffing like Vegan Eggplant Involtini or simply adding it to a Vegetable Curry.
There are Two Simple Techniques for making this easy Cauliflower Rice. In both cases, what you aim for is little cauliflower pieces the size of rice.
Technique # 1: Using a Box Grater
In this case, cut your cauliflower in halves or quarters and proceed to shred it.
Technique # 2: Using a Food Processor
Using a food processor only with the upper grater blade and without the main blade. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces (florets) so they fit the food processor hole and start pushing them down with the tamper.
Comparison of results of the two methods
Above: Food Processor Below: Box Grater
How to season cauliflower rice
Once you have grated your whole head of cauliflower, it’s easy to cook! Sauté in a large skillet over medium heat in 1 tablespoon of oil. It would help if you used a lid to cover; that way, the cauliflower can steam and become more tender.
We suggest down below 2 Seasonings; both are cooked the same way—full recipe directions down in the recipe card.
We remove the lid after 3 minutes, scratch the bottom, and stir for another minute. It is OK to have some golden pieces sticking at the bottom and removing them with a spatula.
At this point, season as desired. See below for suggested options.
Left: Oregano and Garlic.
Right: Indian Seasonings.
Cook for another 2-3 minutes. In the end, you will have cooked it for a total of 5-7 minutes.
These are Two Recipes Using Cauliflower Rice
Seasoning # 1: Caribbean Style
Seasoning # 2: Indian Style
If using this seasoning, remember to remove the cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon sticks before serving or simply avoiding them as you eat as they have a strong flavor. You just need their aroma to impregnate your cauli rice.
How long does it last?
Riced Cauliflower left in the refrigerator develops a strong and unpleasant smell. So it is best to use it right away or freeze it.
Cooking cauliflower rice prevents it from developing a bad smell as quickly. Once cooked, you can keep it for three days in a sealed container in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze riced cauliflower? Yes, you can!
Suppose you plan to cook frozen cauliflower rice. In that case, grate the cauliflower, press out its moisture, transfer the shredded cauliflower to a paper towel, or clean the kitchen towel and squeeze and press to remove any water.
Then freeze it in a sealed container for up to one month. We recommend using reusable Stasher Silicone Bags to reduce the use of plastic.
How to defrost Cauliflower Rice?
To make your frozen cauliflower rice you can either:
- Please put it in the refrigerator the night before and let it thaw over the day, or what I usually do is
- Just putting it in the skillet with the lid on for a couple of minutes. After that, it thaws right up and ready to be cooked and seasoned.
Convenience of cauliflower
This cruciferous vegetable is highly nutritious and, as Science Says, is amongst the 3 of the Healthiest Foods You Can Eat. It has a lot of beneficial, healthy properties and very few calories.
One of the things that we like about it is that it doesn’t take much to cook. You can enjoy it raw, steamed, boiled, roasted, creamed, or shredded. Any cooking method that you can imagine, cauliflower will most likely take it.
You don’t even have to do much to prepare it; what you see is what you get.
Have you ever seen the different cauliflower colorful varieties like purple and orange, equally nutritious and delicious? We love them!
If you are like us and love rice in all its ways, Cauli-Rice is for you.
More Cauliflower Recipes?
If you try any of these recipes, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: How Do You Make Cauliflower Rice
- 1 cauliflower head medium
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or any other oil
Optional Seasoning 1 (Indian "Rice"):
- Wash and dry the cauliflower head, then remove all greens. Start by removing the leaves and the stem. Save them for another use. I like either roasting them or adding it to any recipe where we can turn it into stuffing.
- If using a box grater, cut the cauliflower in halves and use the medium-sized holes to grate into rice. Using a food processor only with the upper grater blade and without the main blade. Cut the cauliflower into small pieces (florets) so they fit the food processor hole and start pushing them down with the tamper.
- Sauté. Once you have your cauliflower rice, it’s easy to cook. Simply sauté in a large skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Season. At this point season as desired. Seasoning Option #1: use 1 tablespoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of garlic, or onion powder and salt.Seasoning Option #2: lightly toasted cumin seeds. cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, garlic, plus salt. Toast the cumin seeds for 2 minutes in a small skillet and add it with the rest of spices to the cauli rice.
- Cover with a lid, that way, the cauliflower can steam and become more tender.
- Cook for a an additional 3 minutes for totacooking time of 5-7 minutes.
- Serve and remove the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom pods, if using Indian Seasoning
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.