A Post Work Out Smoothie should include several vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs, and healthy fats to aid your body's fast recovery. This vegan protein smoothie has it all.
In case you are working out as part of a weight-loss regime, we recommend you pair this post-workout recovery smoothie, with this low-sugar juice as soon as you wake up.
A post-workout smoothie? You must be joking! After a tough workout, you usually drink protein to help rebuild your muscles. Well, what if I told you that there's a post-workout smoothie that is healthier for you than drinking protein and better at building muscle than just having a glass of milk?
Yeah, it might sound too good to be true, but this post-workout smoothie really is better than drinking or eating anything else. This post-workout drink will have you feeling full for longer and give your muscles the nutrients it needs post-training.
Say hello to my post-workout smoothie! Check out our functional smoothies and juices collection!
Below is the perfect formula for a post-workout muscle recovery shake.
This is how it works: the ideal Vegan Protein Smoothie should
- Include Nuts: we used almonds, but you can substitute them for walnuts.
- Make sure to add some seeds: such as flax, pumpkin, or chia seeds. Both nuts and seeds are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids and after-work-out foods that fight inflammation and improve bone and joint health. In addition, they are a source of protein, essential for muscle recovery! Making it the best vegan recovery drink.
- Add some healthy sweetness: Dates help prevent post-workout cramping and aid with muscle recovery.
- Add some leafy greens: using kale and spinach here. Both superfoods! They are rich in antioxidants and an essential post-workout food as they are fantastic to manage post-workout inflammation.
- Blend in some complex carbs like fresh fruit using a ripe banana and pear (we like to keep some bananas frozen). Complex carbs provide sustained energy over periods and help replenish glycogen after training.
- Boost your protein intake with a plant-based, organic, and clean protein powder as this Pea Powder or Complement Powder, designed for No-Meat Athletes. Essential to consume immediately after a workout to build muscle and maximize the body's ability to recover.
We need to blend all the ingredients on a high-speed blender. We love this Professional Blender which has a very accessible price and is super effective in crushing everything and has a large volume capacity. We also use it to make our Almond Milk.
The best recovery smoothie recipe can have some extras.
- Include some raw cocoa powder for a different taste and extra antioxidants.
- Add some berries as an extra shot of antioxidants.
- Include some turmeric and black pepper to aid post-workout inflammation.
- If you are aiming to gain some weight, include a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter.
- Finally, add agave or maple syrup for extra sweetness.
- Add spirulina powder for extra protein without adding many calories.
You may like another Great Post-Work Out Elixir that you should add to your diet if you are into Juicing:
More Smoothie Recipes?
If you don't have a good blender, we think it is an excellent investment; we use it at least twice a day, it's really worth it. Try some of our favorite smoothies:
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #ourplantbasedworld on Instagram. Cheers!
Recipe: Post Work Out Smoothie
- Wash all the fresh ingredients and pit dates.
- Add everything into a high speed blender.
- Serve Cold.
We sometimes take for granted that we have years (or decades) of cooking experience that the average visitor may not. Add to, or remove from, the list below with health and safety tips.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. See our full Nutritional Disclosure here.
Please note that some of the links here are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies that I have found helpful and trustworthy.